The recital is quickly approaching and I am so very excited! All the students have been preparing for this and it is exciting to share with others all of the hard work. With this in mind, I wanted to share some thoughts for you to think about as you get ready to perform. This applies not only for this Saturday, but for all the upcoming performanes you will have in your life.
1. Pace yourself. Do not go faster than your fingers and brain can go at the same tempo. Another way of phrasing this is to "drive safely."
2. Listen. Listen to the sound you are playing and the sound that is coming back to you. Your ears are your most valuable asset in performance.
3. Breathe. Please remember to breathe. Breathe in the same places and in the same ways that you have done as you have been practicing.
4. Count. I cannot stress this aspect enough. Resist the urge to speed up.
5. Focus. Control your mind in order to bring out everything that you have done in your practice and that have been worked on during lessons. The word "control" does not mean checking out how nervous you are. Try to remain in the moment.
6. I expect you to be nervous. In fact, it is okay to be nervous. Do not let your nerves intimidate you. You can do this.
I look forward to hearing all of the performances on Saturday. I hope you invite your family and friends and we all can cheer you on and have a great time!